These are some of the more common ethnicities (in addition to Kazakh) found in Kazakhstan. Statistics are from 2007. Kazakhs represent 59.2% of the population. In addition to those listed here, there are also Ukrainian (2.9%); Byelorussians, Koreans, Azerbajanians, and Turks (less than 1% each). There are more than 100 nationalities that reside in Kazakhstan.
- Uzbek Dance and Culture Society , performances in DC and sponsors a Central Asia dance camp.
- Recipes for Uzbek home style bread, braised onions and carrots, and Uzbek Palov. Look on the Cooking page for additional sources.
- Uzbek National Cuisine
- Consulate General of Uzbekistan in NYC.
- Speaking Uzbek . History of Uzbekistan on the same site.
- UzbekWorld : Arts & Humanities, Business & Economy, Computers & Internet, Countries & Regions, Education & Reference, Entertainment & Fun, Government & Policy, Health & Medicine, News & Media, People & Chat, Society & Culture, Travel & Vacations, Shopping.
- WWW.UZ : General Information, State Authority, News, Economy and Industry, Foreign Activity, Science and Education, Mass Media, Culture and Art, History, Internet Resources.
- Uzbek News is a Yahoo Group "for exchange of information and distribution of news items covering ongoing developments in today's Uzbekistan."
Uighur, also spelled as: Uygur, Uigut, Uighuir, Uiguir, Weiwuer; AKA Eastern Turkestan (this region is also known as Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region of China). (1.5%)
- Uighur Language
- Uyhgur Culture and History has lots of links: Basic Information, Current News, Odd Bits of History, Travel and Photographs. Dissertation and pictures
- Xinjiang-Style Cuisine .
- On the road in China-Xinjiang nice pictures.
- Brief History of the Uyghurs
- Silkroad China has several pictures.
- Travel in Xinjiang on the Travel China Guide site has a little information about the region.
- Turks & Uygurs : history and information
- 13 Nationalities of Xinjiang
- Uyghuristan Online is a Yahoo Group.
- Uyghur American Association
- The Uighurs : geopolitics, expeditions, history, culture and art, script, music, literature, crafts, traditions, and cuisine.
- East Turkestan from the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization; brief history and current news.
- East Turkistan Information Center : history and much more.
↑ Top of page ↓ Bottom of page
Since there are so many easily available sources, from the internet to your local library or bookstore, I decided to list links to regional community resources. Many of these are in Russian. If you want to look for further information on the internet, first try the sources on the Link Only section on the General Information page; most of them also have information on Russia. Universities with Eastern European studies departments and Russian Orthodox Churches may also sponsor lectures and events. Many larger cities have a Russian community that may not have an internet presence. The links below may take you to sites in Russian, and I have not taken the time to translate them. I found many of them through Bay Area Russian American Business Affiliates Network . Be aware that some of these offer dating services. These are listed alphabetically by city where possible. For a page with a massive number of links, go to Super Russian Resources .
- School Plus is a weekend school enrichment program offering Russian language for all ages of children, as well as other subjects; In NJ, NY, Seattle, and Northhampton.
- Russian Legacy webiste lists Russian restaurants and shops in many states.
- Russian Atlanta.net and Russian Atlanta.com
- Russian Austin
- Boston and Russian Cultural Center of Boston .
- Russian Chicago , Chicago , and Dvor
- Russian American Center Dallas .
- Russian Denver
- Russian Houston
- South Florida .
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles and Baraban Los Angeles
- Russian Michigan and Michigan Russian Cultural Center in the Detroit area offers classes in language, theater, music, art and chess.
- New York
- Russian Children's center in Phoenix.
- Portland, Oregon
- Salt Lake City
- San Diego
- San Francisco , Frisco , and Russian Center of San Francisco .
- Tampa Bay
- Russian Portal for Greater Washington , Hillwood Museum (offers an audio tour especially for children), Russian Cultural Center from the Russian Embassy , and Washington Balalaika Society Russian folk orchestra.
- Elsewhere in the world
Flags courtesy of
Page last updated on 22 November 2009.